I’m just going to cut straight to the chase with this one. This is probably my BEST recipe to date. Now I know that’s a bold statement, but it’s true. I’m not a great meat cooker so I generally shy away from bbq. But I think you’ll quickly find that these crock pot root beer pulled pork sliders are pretty much everything.
If you’ve never tried root beer with BBQ you’re in for a treat! Adding a can of hard root beer was a complete game changer. Not overly sweet, it helped give the pork its delicious flavor. Is your mouth watering yet, because it seriously should be!
When it comes to preparing meat I would still consider myself an amateur. Overcooked, undercooked, dry or chewy is usually how it goes. My crockpot is quickly becoming my best friend when it comes to preparing meat, and these root beer pulled pork sliders are a prime example as to why.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 medium cloves garlic, diced
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (4 1/2 to 5 pound) boneless pork shoulder (also known as pork butt), netting removed
- 1 tbs worcestershire sauce, plus more as needed
- 1 can Hard Root Beer or soda
- Small buns
- BBQ Sauce (we used KC’s Fiorella’s Jack Stack BBQ Sauce)
- Place onions and garlic in the bottom of your crock pot
- Remove netting from pork and pat dry
- Add salt and pepper as desired, place in crock pot
- Add cinnamon and worcestershire sauce
- Add 1 can Root Beer soda or alcoholic beer variety
- Cover and cook on low for 7-10 hours, or until pork cooks through and easily shreds with a fork
- Move meat to cutting board and shred
- Return meat to slow cooker and mix with the remaining juices
- Place serving of meat on small buns
- Top with onion straws or coleslaw if desired
- Add your favorite BBQ sauce on top and enjoy!